Simon Kaplan (UK)
Product content lead, Government Digital Service
- Team leader of GOV.UK Departments and policy content team responsible for content quality
- Content lead for transition of 24 UK government departments onto GOV.UK, 2012 to 2013
- Expert in mentoring those who create content with a valid user need and doing the hard work to make life easy for millions of UK citizens
Simon is the Government Digital Service’s content lead for the department and policies section of GOV.UK, the UK government’s single website. This section contains content from all 24 government departments and over 100 agencies.
He co-leads a team of content designers that is responsible for improving content quality and giving editorial support and training across government. Simon was part of the team that was responsible for the transition of all 24 government websites onto GOV.UK in 6 months.
GOV.UK has developed new content design principles and a style guide that’s based on the best usability practice and user testing. This is used to produce content that the whole UK population uses every day so it’s easy to understand and act upon. This is ground-breaking for a government website: what’s even more striking is that GOV.UK won a D&AD black pencil award for writing last year.
More resources related to Simon Kaplan
- J. Boye Aarhus 14 conference news: High-quality content requires a clear vision, collaboration and shared objectives
- Government Digital Service blog: Improving the Norwegian user experience